Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all my peeps and paws friends! What kind of year was 2010 for you? What kind of year will 2011 be?

Last year was a great year for me! It could have been a very bad year, but miraculously, I am ALIVE!!

For those that don't really know my story, here is how my 2010 went. I used to live in a big fenced yard where I pretty much had to fend for myself. I got my water from flower beds or mud puddles and well, when my old owners finished eating, they threw their leftovers out on the patio for me, or set their leftover pot out for me. At least I could walk when 2010 started. I don't remember what happened to me, maybe it was something I would rather forget, but in May, my legs wouldn't work anymore and I couldn't walk. So I crawled around my yard. That's when my new owners spotted me. My old owners said they couldn't afford to take me to the vet and they were going to take me and give me to a place called the Animal Shelter. My new owners thought it would be a very bad thing for a Pit Bull type dog who couldn't walk to go to that place called the Animal Shelter, so they asked if they could have me.

The next thing I remember I was really excited about riding in a car and then I was at the vet's office. The people here poked and prodded me. They took lots of ticks off of me and gave me a pill that made my fleas just hop right off! I thought that was a great pill!

When we got to my new home, my new owner carried me straight from the car to a place called a shower and I got my first bath with shampoo and everything. I smelled really good! This picture above was taken my first whole day in my new home. There was another dog in my new home, her name is Mollie. She's a Mini-Schnauzer. At first, Mollie hopped around me and tried to play with me. I didn't feel very good and was not much of a playmate for Mollie then. I slept a lot. Every day become a routine. My new Mom would wake me up and pick me and carry me outside to the grass where I would crawl around and do my "business." Then she would carry me inside and I would eat my breakfast and sleep for a little bit. Then I would get carried back outside to the grass. We would sit outside for hours everyday. I loved to crawl around in the grass and snooze in the sunshine. I made a lot of new friends too! Some were kind of scared of me until they got to know me. Neighbors would lay down in the grass with me and pet me. Some came and took pictures of me, like this one on the right. I loved everybody and really loved getting all of the attention. In the afternoons, we would come back inside and I would sleep on my nice soft bed. Later I would have supper and we would go back outside in the grass for a little while.

The only thing that changed my routine was when I had to go see the vet, or another vet, or a specialty vet. I got to see lots of vets. They did lots of tests on me. They even shaved my back in two places to take something called spinal fluid from me, but I slept through that test. I went to sleep and woke up with two big shaved square patches on my back. See the picture on the left. I tried to walk, every day. But I couldn't. I was happy and I wanted to walk, but my legs just didn't work. Finally, a month or so later, one vet put me on a new medicine and I took my first wobbly steps! This was the first day I started walking again!

I wasn't very good at walking at first, but I kept getting better and better. Everyday I would walk on a leash with my Mom a little bit further. I had to lay down and rest many times. Soon, I was walking around the block and then a bigger block and then I made it all the way to the park! I love the park and it is still one of my favorite places to walk. The picture of me at the water fountain was taken at my park!

So, there you have it! Today, I am pretty healthy! I am so thankful I have a new warm home, a bossy little BFF named Mollie, lots of great food and treats, fresh, clean water, bully sticks (they are my favorite!) lots of toys with squeakers and white fluffy stuff that must come out. Most importantly, I YAM STILL HERE! ALIVE!!!

In 2011, I will start something called school. My Mom says I can be an Am-bass-a-Dog for Pit Bulls and Staffies and other dogs like me if I have manners. I don't really know what school or manners are yet, but I'll keep you posted as I find out.

I hope each and every one of you has a great 2011! **WOOF** **WOOF**

For my 2011, I'll be Lovin' Life ~ Staffie Style! Thanks for being my friend!


  1. What a great story! What a great family! God Bless you!

  2. Go Buddy! You are pawsome!

  3. Hugs to all of you. Including Buddy. What a loving family. the time dedication, and hard work you all gave is truely amazing. Thank you for saving Buddy!

  4. this made my morning,,,great story,,,my dog has same issues,,cant afford training so dealing with it,,crossing the street,,aviding other dogs,,oh well,,,Love this dog